Einführung der "Sportsman" Klasse?

• It was never about the damage, but as easy entry for people that already were doing "normal" RC stuff.
    Whatever you build, it is not inspiring to test a new robot, with all its possible faults, in a full on match against a proven, veteran bully robot. It's better to have the opportunity to do some test matches first. Also, competences, commitments and budgets are different for all roboteers. It is really the same difference between professional football teams and our local amateur, under 16 years old, teams.

I know several people that would like to have a choice between 3rd division, 2nd division or Battlebots level, including myself (20+ years veteran now).

Maybe beetleweight is the new raptorweight? It just looks too small in even the DRG arena.

Marien

Scraptosaur, Midnight Oil, Lt Lee, Mecha Knights, Rockey, Race Robots, Artbots, Linefollowers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

hm, as easy entry i'd also count the ability to repair damage between fights without having to bring tons of spares for the first bot you made and likely will rebuild completely after the first event anyway, so the spares are obsolete by then.
    The first (few) events getting as many fights in as possible is the most valuable learning, even more so since we don't have events every few weeks here.

So for me damage absolutely is a part of that. Kinda disencouraging for newbies (who also have less routine in repairing) otherwise.

For the same reason i wouldn't count beetle as a substitute. it is a bit cheaper, it is a bit easier to handle, and there are a lot of parts by now (not least of it some kits), so they have that... but on the other hand it seems to be about the same difficulty to make a 1000J-Beetle as a 1000J-Raptor. Only... most Raptors are way better armored, even newbie ones.

Honestly not sure about what to do with that issue.

I liked the intentions, but part availability has kinda outdated the current rules, so instead of a class of easily available cheap parts it's now almost the opposite.

But if we change rules to the parts available, the likes of Otis, Nebelwerfer etc. won't be the "oh no, i hoped to get through most of the event without facing them"-experiences, but we'll see bots like them way more frequently. And that wouldn't be very beginnerfriendly, either.

• I know for a fact that:
    For new participants damage is very important. they are often Young participants who have just enough money to build a robot. Money for spare parts is often not there, nor is knowledge of how to prevent serious damage. There is a lot of interest in the hobby, but when they see the professionals, many drop out.

This is my personal opinion don't get angry:

To keep enough robots in a class I personally would have no problem trading the Raptor class for a Featherweight Sportsman class. You could then still use your raptor as a cluster for Full combat or the Sportsman class. So all current robots are still usable then.
    I still think that a Sportsman class could mean a lot to the sport.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think using Hammerschwanz in any kind of feather-cluster would be useful or even fun anymore, the concept just doesn't work with the opponents getting bigger.

But then again, that's just one bot and it might be getting a serious change/rebuild "soon", anyway.

That sure could be one way to do it, but we'd need to get a good definition for that "sportsman" class, what fits in and such, too.

The biggest problem i see there is how international a "sportsman" class always seems to be defined by "having an active weapon", which somehow contradicts the idea of a beginner friendly class where the general advice is to just build a simple brick that drives for the first bot. Needing a "weapon" on top makes that a lot more complicated, and they'd be either forced to make a relatively complex bot as a first, or get into the full combat class.

Plus the risk with having the same weight twice i see would be we'd effectively divide it into "feather spinner and maybe some wedge bricks" and "everything else".

At least i'd think that very likely to happen.

So while it's worth thinking about, in my opinion having it also differented by weight is still the better choice.

And the 6kg of the current Raptor class (or something like that) is great for that to bridge the gap between feather and beetle, two of those could do a feather cluster or help out in one, light enough to be handled by everybody (feather might already be a bit too much to comfortably lift/transport by some. Traveling with a raptor by train is possible, a feather might not...)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was never about the damage, but as easy entry for people that already were doing "normal" RC stuff.

That´s why I think the absolute bare minimum would be to allow longer bl motors (most 540size motors are longer than 50mm) and allow outrunners in some way too. I´d also drop the voltage limit and sensorless only requirement for bl. Just makes stuff harder and limits technical options for no reason.

I know several people that would like to have a choice between 3rd division, 2nd division or Battlebots level, including myself (20+ years veteran now).

Agreed, although I´m probably in adifferent camp there. ;)

My personal dream scenario would be:

Raptorweight -> Full combat Hobbyweight

Featherweight -> Sportsman (probably our own ruleset, maybe Robodojo)

This based on the two main reason because of which there hasn´t been a new build from me lately. (apart from robots not being rc planes out of balsa wood.)

• Imo 1kJ in a feather is pretty boring.
    • The Raptorweight rules force me to use technical solutions which are bigger, heavier, more expensive and (presumably) less reliable than what I´d go for in a more open ruleset. (low kv outrunners + single stage reduction)

The third benefit would be less stress on the arena.

It´s easy for me to suggest that with Eurobeat being my only active bot in those weightclasses. I expect literally everyone else to be against it due to already existing robots. 8o

• Offizieller Beitrag

I somehow do not like the idea of splitting a weight class into full contact and sportsman. At least not on one event.

What I could imagine is having one event per year with feather sportsman and raptor full contact and the other event with feather full contact and raptor sportsman.

For the raptor rules my opinion is simple: let go of the limitations of parts. The energy limit has the most effect on destruction. There an option would be to keep the 1kJ limit even if we had an arena which allows for more kinetic energy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The energy limit has the most effect on destruction.

Most, but not the only.

It definitely defines what's the "worst" damage is a bot could take in a weight class.

What it doesn't really define is how often that happens. For now, we have 1, maybe 2 bots per event that can reach this limit in the raptor class, never more as far as i know.

If it gets much easier to reach that limit (mostly by smaller/lighter drivetrains and outrunners as weapon motors) i'd expect to see the likes of Nebelwerfer, Otis etc. a lot more frequently.

And that's a real difference.

If I'm facing odds of "maybe" face one of those nasty spinners, two out of 6 fights at worst, one on average, and maybe none at all, and needing spares for that. Or if i would face such bots every other fight, maybe even every fight, and needing spares for that.

I'd expect a lot of newbies not being able to compete on the sundays at all if that was the case.

On the other hand, yes, i'd really like the option to do more interesting stuff on a raptor, Stuff that's currently just not possible with the limitations on the parts we may use.

So another idea would be to allow everything (maybe a voltage limit somewhere wouldn't be too bad of an idea, but I'm unsure how much would be a good compromise), but actually limiting the allowed energy for raptor spinners even a bit more. So that yes, you might need to repair more often and need more spares if that means more spinners, but it would also mean the damage is less often catastrophic and mostly on easy to replace armor parts, less often on the electronics. Then again, every energy limit is worst for horizontals at first, and anything else less so. Not sure if we should take that into calculations, too.

Not really against it, it's an interesting option. Although i kinda fear for the floor (and the gearboxes) with brushless Hammerschwanz coming then :P

but yes, 1kj in a feather is almost Sportsman already. or at least an energy where it's absolutely possible to build something actually spinnerproof. The exact ruleset we'd use for that would need some more tinkering i think, but it could work. At least for me facing a 1kj spinner more often as a feather than I'm doing now as a raptor wouldn't be as fearsome as facing them more often on a raptor level.

The only thing i don't like on that is how using steel at least partly for armor/frames on a feather even with just 1kj seems almost mandatory, and that's a lot harder to work with for some than just grabbing some HDPE and a Jigsaw and making a thing with it.

But that might just be me misinterpreting what i see is used and the reasons for that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the raptor rules my opinion is simple: let go of the limitations of parts. The energy limit has the most effect on destruction. There an option would be to keep the 1kJ limit even if we had an arena which allows for more kinetic energy.

Thas also my preferred option

• I think we should keep Raptorweight as the beginner class.

No more motor limitations to make sourcing parts easier. Voltage limit should be lifted to 4S or 6S LiPo. Maximum kinetic energy stays at 1 kj. It is absoluteley possible to build a bot that can take 1 kj spinner without using metal, even for a beginner. At the moment I don't really see a large amount of raptor spinners, and I don't think less motor limitations would change that.

As soon as we upgrade our arena featherweight energy limit should be raised to whatever the arena can take.

Wird schon schief gehen...

die hier ist Emily, Dominic ist der andere

• For the raptor rules my opinion is simple: let go of the limitations of parts. The energy limit has the most effect on destruction. There an option would be to keep the 1kJ limit even if we had an arena which allows for more kinetic energy.

Thas also my preferred option

Agree... that seems like a good solution.

Do we have a video of a 1kj spinner fight?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ich war in den letzten Jahren hier im Verein zwar nur passiv tätig, trotzdem habe ich mir gelegentlich mal Gedanken zu den Themen Energiebegrenzungen und Sportsman Klasse gemacht. Hier fasse ich meine persönlichen Schlüsse zusammen:

-Bei Featherweight setzt die Arena das Limit, Spinner müssen dementsprechend angepasst werden. Ansonsten keine weiteren Einschränkungen.

-Bei Raptoren setzt ebenfalls die Arena das Limit. Ansonsten keine weiteren Einschränkungen.

Weitere Einschränkungen sind in meinen Augen (nachdem die Raptor-Regeln mehrfach angepasst wurden) hinfällig und machen das Regelwerk für Anfänger unnötig unübersichtlich.

-In beiden Klassen ist es möglich "Anfängerbots" zu bauen, sowohl aus Alu, Stahl und auch HDPE die mehrere Spinnerkämpfe überleben können.

Bestes Beispiel ist da eindeutig Kackeblaster von Daniel.

Die Sportsman Klasse als Einsteigerklasse macht keinen Sinn, Begründung siehe oben (Kackeblaster).

Was mir fehlt ist eine Klasse in der man wirklich kreativ sein kann.

Also alles was eine aktive Waffe wie z.B. Greifer, Heber, bewegliche Säge, Manipulatoren jedweder Art hat sollte die Chance haben sich ohne Spinner beweisen zu können. Aber das wird wohl an der Anzahl der Bots scheitern, entweder man hat den Spinner oder einen Panzer ;)

Dirk

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was mir fehlt ist eine Klasse in der man wirklich kreativ sein kann.

Also alles was eine aktive Waffe wie z.B. Greifer, Heber, bewegliche Säge, Manipulatoren jedweder Art hat sollte die Chance haben sich ohne Spinner beweisen zu können.

Du sprichtst/schreibst mir aus der Seele.

Eigentlich wollte ich zu dem Thema hier nichts mehr beitragen, weil ich das in der Vergangenheit schon öfters gemacht hatte, aber leider von der "Power-without-limits-fraktion" keine Akzeptanz bekam.

Den Bau von meinem Walker mit 18 Servos habe ich darum eigentlich schon abgehakt, weil der wirklich nur als Pausenfüller einmal in der Arena herumdackeln könnte. Bei Feinberührung mit einem Spinner (auch < 100J) wären die Gelenke sofort defekt. => Solange wir keine geschlossene Sportsman-Klasse ohne brachiale Zerstörung haben, wird's wohl bei den Bauarten für die derzeitigen Standard-Bots bleiben.

• Den Bau von meinem Walker mit 18 Servos habe ich darum eigentlich schon abgehakt, weil der wirklich nur als Pausenfüller einmal in der Arena herumdackeln könnte. Bei Feinberührung mit einem Spinner (auch < 100J) wären die Gelenke sofort defekt. => Solange wir keine geschlossene Sportsman-Klasse ohne brachiale Zerstörung haben, wird's wohl bei den Bauarten für die derzeitigen Standard-Bots bleiben.

Für so etwas müsste dann eine komplett eigenständige Sportsman-Klasse neben der Full Contact Raptor-Klasse eingeführt werden, wo Spinner komplett verboten sind.

Die aktuellen Motorbeschränkungen halte ich für Full Contact Raptoren für nicht sinnvoll und sehe keinen Grund, weiter daran festzuhalten.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Bau von meinem Walker mit 18 Servos

Soetwas hat mich auch schon immer gereizt, aber hat meiner Meinung nach nichts mehr mit unserem Hobby zu tun. Das Teil würde dir auch in einer sportsman Klasse zerlegt werden.

Erinnert mich an chomp: technisch sehr interessant, maximal overengineered, aber leider völlig an den Anforderungen an unser Hobby vorbei.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Die aktuellen Motorbeschränkungen halte ich für Full Contact Raptoren für nicht sinnvoll und sehe keinen Grund, weiter daran festzuhalten.

Sehe ich ehrlich gesagt anders. Bei 14,4V und den zugehörigen ESCs und Motoren besteht noch eine geringe Chance, mit einer passenden Panzerung für einen Raptor zu überleben. Bei einer Spinnerbewaffnung wie bei einem Feather (28V,...) bräuchtest Du als betroffener Gegner eine Panzerung wie bei einem Feather. Dafür ist aber kein freies Gewicht vorhanden. => Du verstehst, auf was ich herauswill?
    Wenn jemand ohne Spannungs- oder Motorenlimits agieren will, wäre er in der Featherweight-Klasse viel besser aufgehoben. Deshalb verstehe ich nicht, warum bei der Raptor-Klasse ständig die Spannungen, Motoren und ggf. sogar am Gewicht nach oben getrieben wird. => Einfach in die Featherweight-Klasse wechseln und gut ist.....

Soetwas hat mich auch schon immer gereizt, aber hat meiner Meinung nach nichts mehr mit unserem Hobby zu tun.

Wenn's mehr von diesen Maschinen gäbe, wäre das bestimmt ein Spaß. => Drei Walking-Ameisen attakieren sich in der Arena mit ihren Gebissen. Aber sobald wieder das Wettrüsten und "Upgraden auf mehr Leistung" losgeht, ist es natürlich nicht sinnvoll.....

An anderer Stelle schon mal erwähnt, wie sowas in der 6kg-Klasse aussehen könnte:

A-Pod auf der Messe

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Du hast recht, zwei 6kg-Hexapods in der Arena sind nicht das, was die Leute normalerweise von uns zu sehen kriegen. Es werden keine Fetzen oder Teile fliegen.... höchstens gebrochene Gelenke (Servo-Getriebe). Aber mit zwei Greifern an den Kiefern den Gegner irgendwo zu packen kriegen.... Mir würd's Spaß machen. ;)

• Sehe ich ehrlich gesagt anders. Bei 14,4V und den zugehörigen ESCs und Motoren besteht noch eine geringe Chance, mit einer passenden Panzerung für einen Raptor zu überleben. Bei einer Spinnerbewaffnung wie bei einem Feather (28V,...) bräuchtest Du als betroffener Gegner eine Panzerung wie bei einem Feather. Dafür ist aber kein freies Gewicht vorhanden. => Du verstehst, auf was ich herauswill?
    Wenn jemand ohne Spannungs- oder Motorenlimits agieren will, wäre er in der Featherweight-Klasse viel besser aufgehoben. Deshalb verstehe ich nicht, warum bei der Raptor-Klasse ständig die Spannungen, Motoren und ggf. sogar am Gewicht nach oben getrieben wird. => Einfach in die Featherweight-Klasse wechseln und gut ist.....

Auch mit den aktuellen Beschränkungen ist es problemlos möglich, weit über 2 kj zu kommen. Hat bis auf Ralf bei Schlechtes Vorbild bis jetzt bloß keiner gemacht. Bei dem lockern der Motorregeln geht es wie gesagt nicht um mehr Leistung, sondern um mehr Möglichkeiten und einfachere Beschaffung, auch für Anfänger.

Außerdem bin ich ja für ein Beibehalten des 1 kj Limits, wodurch die Spinner sowieso nicht stärker werden, egal wie dick die Motoren sind.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ed607 hatte ich in der letzten Version auf 0,7kj ausgelegt. Mit dem Motor 3650 und einer größeren Riemenscheibe hätte ich auf über 1kj kommen können. Das Energielimit ist das limit nicht die Beschränkungen der Komponenten. Ich möchte auch zu bedenken geben, dass ich mit CoWorker gegen Nebelwerfer angetreten bin und der bot es ausgehalten hat. Ich könnte ihn auch noch abändern, kleinere Co2 Flasche, um die Panzerung zu verstärken. Interessante bots wird es weiter geben, es liegt allein an uns und nicht an der Technik.