6kg Combat robots

• Hello Erich

My name is James Cooper and i run a company called Rc Wars here in England. We have been going since 1999 and have in the past year made it a commercial company. Since we started we have been running 6kg combat robots and have found them an excellent weight catagory for begginer roboteers and in the last 2 years we have run Featherweights full combat compertitions aswell.

As we joined the FRA about 6 months ago, 6kg robots wernt a welcomed catagory so we decided to lower our involvement with them due to the lack of intrested roboteers. However we currently do a lot of educational work which has kept our large intrest in them. We feel that the 6kg weight class has so much to offer everyone that im working to see it becomeing officaily recognised.

I feel the Advantages of the 6kg class are -

In Combat -

Personnaly i belive Featherweights are far too competertive and advanced for first time builders, with machines like Horizon and Preditor coming along we will lose alot of builders if the first step into roboteering is featherweights. I belive the consequenses of a flipper losing to a spinner is far greater than a spinner losing to a flipper, I feel with all the events allowing spinners and with EV warrior motors being so cheap and powerfull alot of people are losing incentive to produce a nice axe or crusher weapon. instead everyone is building ev warrior spinners which will very soon take the fun out of fighting.
    New builders dont want to have there creation torn apart every event and therefore will soon lose insentive to carry on. So with cheap powerfull Featherweight spinner motors usually being heavy at 2kg + its not feasable to use in a 6kg machine due to the weight. therefore people are more likely to be more creative by produceing flippers and axes etc. which can only be good for the sport and competitors in it.

Education -

Rc Wars has done many educational events with many diffrent groups of people. As you already know we already have a fleet of 6kg machines. We use these alot with education because the weight is fantastic to work with. being only 6kg they arnt very complecated so they are great to use in kit form to teach and build them with groups.

Makeing the combat more exciting -

Usually once we have tought the groups all about the diffrent aspects of the machine and they have assembled them we put on a tornament so the teams can put there creations into battle against there friends teams etc. and what kids allways love are house robots. the featherweights make fantastic house robots and they are already built so we dont need to make ones specificly for the weight class.

So overall 6kg machines are a great starting point for new builders and fantastic for education which we are already doing and is one of the FRA's goals.

We also have 2 arenas which are fully enclosed in 10mm polycarbonate (soon to be a featherweight grade 1 arena) which were built for featherweight full combat. They would also be perfect for the 6 kg machines as we have already tested. i shall send you a picture of it soon.

Andy Kane has informed me that in Germany you were already running a 5.5kg class and you were willing to upgrade to 6kg which is fantastic. I feel, if you would like to, that we could work together to promote the new weight class and bring more builders into the sport. I would also love to put on event where we can all come together to kick start the new catagory.

Please send me your thoughts and oppinions,

Kind Regards

James Cooper

Rc Wars
    Team Venom
    http://www.RcWars.co.uk
    James@RcWars.co.uk

[SIZE=2]Man muss nicht verrückt sein ,um zu überleben .
    Aber es hilft . [/SIZE]
    mfg Erich